- The upgrade scenario is a full backup, re-install and a restore. I foresaw all kinds of problems.
- I had installed all kinds of software, some of that had to be re-installed.
After an inventorisation I started on a day off. The backups worked, I had tested those with a partial restore. The re-install went smoothly but soon the first problem arose:
The USB stick I used as a boot medium was made a part of the RAID array. Without the USB stick, GRUB gave an error, and all my attempts to change the configuration failed. In the end I installed SME 9.1 by booting off the USB stick, but pulling the software from the internet. The installation bug seems te be resolved.
Harddisks got another devicename, I got two degraded raid array warnings because the USB stick still was part of one array, cleaned out the hardware.
The restore went surprisingly fast, and soon I had most things working. In the mean time it's been a few weeks and I'm not missing anything, the backups were complete. Even my web-page with an MQT client worked out of the box. All in all a few hours of work over a dan and a half.
After that I installed a few contribs:
- PHP Software Collections which give me the possibility of configuring an PHP version per ibay, this was the main reason for the upgrade, some web applications couldn't be upgraded because of the older version of PHP in SME 8.0
- System Monitor
- Shared folders
- DAR2 for the backups
Some software added on the command line:
And all is good. I've cleaned some files I had collected over the years. I configured the backup to a local NAS.
I'm very pleased with Letsencrypt, that has put an end to the self-signed-certificates and the warnings I got. Together with the redirection to https per ibay it's a little bit safer.
After this I'm going to upgrade / rebuild some websites. No hurry, everything I have is supported and safe.